To read this in Italian, click here.
Saturday’s workshop was the first in our series of Story and a Craft. First we read Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson and we followed Harold and the adventures he goes on with his purple crayon. And then we got out our purple crayons (well, actually they were pens :o) and created an adventure of our own.
To make a Pop Up City of your own you will need:
- a purple pen, crayon or pencil
- 2 pieces of card stock (thick/heavy paper)
- thick double sided tape (optional)
1. 1 sheet of paper and fold it in half, by bring the short sides together ( 8 1/2 x 11 becomes a 8 1/2 x 5 or an A4 21 x 29,7 becomes a 21 x 14,35).
3. Fold paper in half again, with the city facing on the inside. Cut two large slits along the edge about 3/4 of an inch long. Fold the flap this makes back and forth and then push towards the inside of the card.
4. Cut the other piece of paper in half so, 8 1/2 x 11 becomes a 8 1/2 x 5 or an A4 21 x 29,7 becomes a 21 x 14,35. Draw another city scape along the long side (make sure the buildings touch each other) and then cut out the buildings.
5. Draw a moon on the remaining piece of paper and cut out.
To learn more about pop-ups check out robert sabuda’s site, he does some truly amazing stuff and even has some cool pop-ups you can download and do, too.